Live Your Legacy: Election time is around the corner…
Date Posted: February 20, 2015
Hello RDC! Another year has already passed and that’s right, it’s that time of the year again — election time.
Before I get into the grit of things, let me introduce myself. My name is Josh Cormier and I am the Chief Returning Officer for this spring’s Students’ Association Executive Elections. I am a second year Bachelor of Education student here at RDC and I plan on transferring to the University of Alberta for the fall. I am very excited for this upcoming election and I hope that each of you is just as excited as I am.
Now, let’s get into it. For those who are interested in running for a position, nominations will open as soon as the Spring General Meeting ends on March 3. Nomination packages can be picked up at the Students’ Association office or at any of the SA bulletin boards.
Completed nomination packages must be handled in by 4 p.m. Tuesday, March 10 to the Students’ Association office. A mandatory meeting for all of the candidates follows the close of nominations.
Things really start to get cooking then! There will be a week of campaigning with various Meet the Candidate events as well as open forums on both campuses.
Advanced Polls will be open March 17 and Election Day is March 18. Results will be announced in the Far Side Bar & Grill at approximately 8 p.m.
If you’re not interested in running for a position, I would encourage you to become involved as much as possible. Simply attend any of the events, endorse a campaign, become a poll clerk, or even just vote. It’s super easy.
If you are interested in becoming a poll clerk, please send me an email at. Additionally, if you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact me at that email address or come up to the SA and we can chat.
I hope that you become involved during the election and I look forward to counting your ballot on election day.
March 2: Election Awareness
• Join Chief Returning Officer Josh Cormier for an Election Awareness event. Learn about the offices, the election process, and how to become involved.
March 3: Nominations open
• Spring General Meeting, Main Campus, Far Side Bar & Grill, 11 a.m.
Nominations for Students’ Association Executive Council: President, Vice President Operations, Vice President College Affairs, Vice President Student Life; summer Students’ Association Council; student vacancies on Academic Council and Board of Governors Student Member open.
March 10: Nominations close
• Nominations period for Students’ Association Executive Council closes at 4 p.m. Candidates for Executive Council must provide transcripts, nomination forms and profiles by the deadline.
March 10: Campaigning begins
• Campaigning begins at the conclusion of the All Candidates Meeting
March 11: Campaign event
• Meet the Candidates for Executive Council from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Donald School of Business
March 12: Campaign events
• Meet the Candidates for Executive Council from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Forum
• Candidate Forum, 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., RDC Library
March 13: Campaign event
• Meet the Candidates, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Forum
March 16: Campaign event
• Candidates Forum, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Forum
March 17: Advance Polls
• SA office polling station, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Donald School of Business polling station, 10 a.m. to
• Campaigning ends. All campaign material must be down by 10 p.m.
March 18: Election Day!
• SA Stairs poll, main campus, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Red Deer College Forum poll, main campus, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Donald School of Business poll, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Election results will be announced in the Far Side Bar & Grill following ballot counting March 18, 2015. Approximate time 8 p.m.