Live your legacy: Consider running for Executive Council
Date Posted: February 9, 2015
Are you passionate about student representation?
Do you want to advocate for students?
Are you interested in building student engagement?
Maybe you are one of the next Executive Council members of the Students’ Association of Red Deer College.
Each member of Executive Council serves a term of one year (May 1 – April 30) and is paid for their time in office. In addition to the
opportunities on campus, executives have an opportunity to travel and work with other student executives from around
the province through the Students’ Association membership in ASEC (Alberta Student Executive Council).
Nominations for the four executive positions — President, Vice President Operations, Vice President College Affairs, Vice President Student Life — open following the Spring General Meeting on March 3 at 11 a.m. in the Far Side Bar & Grill.
Although becoming an executive is a significant time commitment, it is a great learning experience and provides many opportunities to network and grow your skill set. Executives serve as advocates for the students of Red Deer College and try to ensure the student experience at RDC is a positive one.
While the executive team works together to ensure all of the students at Red Deer College are represented fairly and equally, each position has its own role and duties.
• Acts as the official spokesperson and CEO for the Students’ Association
• Meets with senior administration, local politicians, and influential community members on a regular basis
• Leads and motivates Executive Council and assists with establishing long- and short-term goals
• Responsible for overseeing the business affairs of the Association in conjunction with the Executive Director
• Sits on and provide feedback for college committees
The President is allowed to take a maximum of nine credits per Fall and Winter semester and must maintain a minimum of 25 office hours per week during the Associations’ regular business hours
• Assists the President in their duties
• Responsible for the recruitment and training of Students’ Association Council
• Responsible for communication between the Association and the Donald School of Business
• Work with the Communications manager to promote the Association internally and externally
• Sit on and provide feedback for college committees related to the operations of Red Deer College
The VP Operations is allowed to take a maximum of five courses per Fall and Winter semester and must maintain a minimum of 20 office hours per week during the Associations’ regular business hours.
VP College Affairs
• Assist students with academic and non-academic appeals
• Provide feedback on proposed curriculum and policy changes
• Meet regularly with the Vice President Academic of Red Deer College
• Chairs Academic Council Student Caucus
• Work to resolve issues that students are facing at Red Deer College
The VP College Affairs is allowed to take a maximum of five courses per Fall and Winter semester and must maintain a minimum of 20 office hours per week during the Associations’ regular business hours.
VP Student Life
• Plan and promote student events and awareness campaigns
• Assist with and coordinate the activity all Student Groups throughout the year
• Play an active role in the development of student life at RDC by working with other groups at the college
• Responsible for the recruitment and training of volunteers
• Sit on college committees related to student life and environmental issues
The VP Student Life is allowed to take a maximum of five courses per Fall and Winter semester and must maintain a minimum of 20 office hours per week during the Associations’ regular business hours.
To learn more about the responsibilities of Executive Council or the election process, contact Chief Returning Officer Josh Cormier via email at