Executive Council a rewarding experience
Date Posted: January 23, 2015
The Students’ Association Spring General Meeting takes place in a little over a month, and that means it’s almost time for Students’ Association Executive Elections.
Every March the students of Red Deer College elect four people to represent them as the next year’s Students’ Association Executive Council. Executive Council is made up of the following four positions — President, Vice President Operations, Vice President College Affairs and Vice President Student Life.
Being an executive can be a fun-filled, rewarding experience but it is also hard work. Executives serve as advocates for the students of Red Deer College and try to ensure the student experience at RDC is a positive one.
While the executive team works together to ensure all of the students at Red Deer College are represented fairly and equally, each position has its own role and duties.
• Acts as the official spokesperson and CEO for the Students’ Association
• Meets with senior administration, local politicians, and influential community members on a regular basis
• Leads and motivates Executive Council and assists with establishing long- and short-term goals
• Responsible for overseeing the business affairs of the Association in conjunction with the Executive Director
• Sits on and provide feedback for college committees
The President is allowed to take a maximum of nine credits per Fall and Winter semester and must maintain a minimum of 25 office hours per week during the Associations’ regular business hours.
• Assists the President in their duties
• Responsible for the recruitment and training of Students’ Association Council
• Responsible for communication between the Association and the Donald School of Business
• Work with the Communications manager to promote the Association internally and externally
• Sit on and provide feedback for College committees related to the operations of RDC
The VP Operations is allowed to take a maximum of five courses per Fall and Winter semester and must maintain a minimum of 20 office hours per week during the Associations’ business hours.
VP College Affairs
• Assist students with academic and non-academic appeals
• Provide feedback on proposed curriculum and policy changes
• Meet regularly with the Vice President Academic of RDC
• Chairs Academic Council Student Caucus
• Work to resolve issues that students are facing at Red Deer College
The VP College Affairs is allowed to take a maximum of five courses per Fall and Winter semester and must maintain a minimum of 20 office hours per week during the Associations’ business hours.
VP Student Life
• Plan and promote student events and awareness campaigns
• Assist with and coordinate the activity all Student Groups throughout the year
• Play an active role in the development of student life at RDC by working with other groups at the college
• Responsible for the recruitment and training of volunteers
• Sit on college committees related to student life and environmental issues
The VP Student Life is allowed to take a maximum of five courses per Fall and Winter semester and must maintain a minimum of 20 office hours per week during the Associations’ business hours.
Each member of Executive Council serves a one-year term (May 1 – April 30) and is paid for their time in office. Executives have an opportunity to travel and work with other student executives from around the province through the Association membership in ASEC (Alberta Student Executive Council).
Nominations for the four executive positions open following the Spring General Meeting on March 3 at 11 a.m. in the Far Side Bar & Grill.
To learn more about Executive Council or the election process contact the Students’ Association at 403-342-3200 or email