Anti-stigma activity, Tea Talks return in Winter Mental Health Week
Date Posted: January 28, 2016
Student life can be stressful at times. Many students face constraints of limited budgets, pressures of work-school-life balance, weight of nagging deadlines and looming exams coupled with anxiety, loneliness and other issues.
In recognition of these pressures, the Students’ Association of Red Deer College introduced its Mental Health Initiative aimed at promoting a positive atmosphere in which mental health can be explored and enhanced. The initiative is supported by funding from the Alberta Campus Mental Health Initiative Fund (ACMHI).
Through its Mental Health Initiative, the SA hosts mental health awareness events each term. The events are designed to give students a break and to help encourage discussion of mental health.
Mental Health Week activities
Monday, February 1
• Stigma Stick activity: break your stigma and symbolically break the hold of stigma
• Pro/Con Board
• Free Mac and Cheese Lunch
Tuesday, February 2
• Breakfast at Donald School of Business
• Bracelet making and colouring: Take a break and unwind while creating something
• Free snacks
Wednesday, February 3
• Tea Talk: Relax, have some tea and meet new people
• Free snacks
• Lantern Night
Thursday, February 4
• Finger painting: Take a break and unwind while creating something
• Speaker event: Frank Warren, sole founder of the PostSecret Project, will share his stories and secrets and listen to ours. This is a ticketed event; tickets are free for RDC students. Limited tickets available.
Friday, February 5
• Free breakfast in the Far Side Bar & Grill